- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 2 medium ripe bananas, previously sliced and frozen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (organic when possible) – use strawberries/raspberries for a greener smoothie, darker berries for a purple smoothie
- 2 large handfuls spinach (organic when possible)
- 1 small handful kale (organic when possible), large stems removed
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (will depend on if your berries are frozen)
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- Optional: 2 Tbsp salted creamy almond or peanut butter
- Roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- Raw or roasted nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Fresh berries
- Hemp seeds
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Add more almond milk (or water) to thin.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more ripe banana (or maple syrup) for added sweetness, more spinach for a bright green hue, or almond milk for creaminess.
- For the green smoothie I used strawberries, which let the green color come through more. For the purple bowl I used darker berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries).
- For more protein, add nut butter! This also offsets / enhances the natural sweetness of the smoothie.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls and top with desired toppings!
- Best when fresh, though leftovers can be kept in jars in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.