In any sport, it’s important to be proactive when it comes to injury prevention.
That’s where YogaVibes’ online yoga offerings come into play.
Yoga not only functions as a method of injury prevention for skiers, but also serves to complement and counter the swift, high-energy movements on the mountain. With a regular yoga practice, skiers can expect to:
● Cultivate stronger legs to endure long, challenging slopes.
● Build exceptional back and abdominal strength to maintain perfect form for maximum control.
● Find more openness and flexibility in the hips to protect the knees and better manage falls and unstable surfaces.
● Target and combat muscular imbalances to support a smooth, graceful run down the hill.
Five yoga poses in particular – demoed in Gwen’s online yoga video – work wonders for skiers. By bringing the body into a state of equilibrium, these postures ward off injury so skiers can tackle the mountain for years to come.
- Chair Pose: This pose is the ultimate leg-strengthener and develops the form needed to maneuver through even the toughest of runs! Chair pose also serves to reinforce spinal strength and proper alignment.
- Bow Pose: After a long day of holding perfect form and keeping that precise angle at the hip joint, it’s important to address the hip flexors. If not addressed, tight hip flexors can wreak havoc on the low back and compromise spinal alignment.
- Forearm Plank: Unlike its close relative, plank pose, forearm plank asks even more from the core, really challenging abdominal strength while simultaneously promoting proper spinal alignment and body positioning.
- Chair Twist: Practicing the basic chair pose with a twist stretches the obliques, facilitating subtle (yet powerful) changes in the core. Stretching the obliques (the muscles along the ribs and side body) will boost endurance, control, and lung capacity.
- Rock & Rolls: Before hitting the slopes, practice these movements to shed light on physical imbalances.
Now, for a complete rundown of these beneficial poses, check out Gwen Lawrence’s quick online yoga demo.
After a long day gliding down the mountain, pass on that sought-after hot toddy or libation of choice and do yoga!
ABOUT GWEN LAWRENCE
Gwen’s unique combination of dance, massage and yoga training experience, coupled with her extensive knowledge of anatomy and nutrition, provides her clients with overwhelming benefits. Her writing appears in Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Fitness Magazine, Shape Magazine, Yoga Journal, Cosmo, Details, Shape.com and ESPN.com. She was featured in June’s ESPN Magazine as the “Best Innovation in Sports Medicine.” To learn more about Gwen, visit her website: http://www.gwenlawrence.com.
YogaVibes is the premium source for streaming online yoga classes and free online yoga videos. No more worries about making it to class on time! Stream online yoga at work, at home, in the airport – wherever, whenever! YogaVibes takes the stress out of finding time for yoga. Join now to sweat, stretch, explore, unwind, or bliss out: http://www.yogavibes.com.