The heart is a vital organ of our body and in yoga it is believed that all problems in the heart are related to the emotional imbalances we face in our day-to-day lives. However, by working on our emotions, from time to time, we can strengthen the heart and feel positive about life.
When your anahata chakra opens, the first quality you develop is of giving unconditional love to people around you and helping them selflessly. You also start loving yourself which means you take care of your well being and try solving problems at the earliest.
But on the flip side if the anahata chakra is blocked, you are governed by your ego and you find it difficult to accept and love people around you easily.
On the physical front, when there is deep rooted manifestation of emotional problems in the anahata chakra you can suffer heart diseases, anxiety, breathing problems, pain in the upper back, high blood pressure and claustrophobia.
Here are a few more techniques in yoga that help us in combating the problems of the anahata chakra:
- Lie flat on your stomach with your hands stretched forward and your chin on the mat.
- As you inhale, raise your right hand and left leg off the ground till you feel a light contraction on your back.
- Exhale and hold the posture for 10-30 seconds and repeat the same with the left hand and right leg.
Note: This posture can also be done as a movement by continuously alternating between the right and left sides.
- Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles.
- Tones the leg and arm muscles.
- Useful for people with hernia.
Caution: People suffering from severe back pain must avoid doing this posture.
- Sit in any meditative posture with your back straight.
- Start exhaling forcefully through the nose, each time taking your hands up and down.
- Inhalation is passive and happens automatically.
- Do this in a rhythm for about 20 breaths a cycle.
Note: Bhastrika can be done in three different speeds (slow, medium and fast) depending on the capacity of the practitioner.
- Removes toxins from the body.
- Alleviates cold, cough, asthma and all lung disorders.
- Increases the metabolic rate of the body and improves digestion.
- Balances and strengthens the nervous system.
- Calms the mind.